Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Low Budget Features

Ok. All the time, I get disbelievers. The common statement being - you can't make a feature for under 25K. And yes, it's usually a statement, not a question. People see this:
... and they immediately say no way.

Read the book before you say it can't be done. If you still have doubt or any questions, fire away, that's what this blog is for. Or comment/ask questions on either the Google + page or the Facebook page.

Let's start with the first basic rule of making feature films for in and around this budget - that is 25K and up to like 75K. Two big rules: few locations, few characters.

If you think you can make a feature for under 100K with as many locations and characters as a typical commercial film, you're insane. Delusional. Out of touch.

You can not. Simple. No ifs, ands or buts. This is the place where you start, that is, if you really want to make an indie film for this amount of money. One or two main characters, and maybe one or two supporting characters. And location? You should have one or two major locations.

How do I know? I did it. I shot my 1st feature Sleepwalk in about ten days. Yes, ten days! In the next post I'll talk more about the number of shooting days and how that can keep your budget down. But for now, if you're thinking, scheming, planning on making a feature for little to no money, this is the approach. The only approach. Just a few characters, and one or two main locations.

Here's a link to the book:

"How To Make a Feature Film For Under 25K"



3 comments:

  1. I'm thinking, scheming, planning on making a feature myself for little to no money. I'd like to know about crew size. Edward Burns for his $9000 feature "Newlyweds" used only a three man crew.

    I know some actors shy away from films with small crews, they feel it isn't "professional". From my experience on short films, I've had a couple actors ask me how many are in my crew and when I give them the number, they're kinda shocked about how small the crew is and feel hesitate about accepting the role.

    What are your thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Burns has it right. Be lean and mean. Sure, he doesn't face the problem you or others might have, as he's famous and many folks wanna work with him.

      So, where does that leave you if you wanna make a feature for little money and with a small crew? I'll tell you - it's all about the script! If you have a great script, and I mean really kicking, you'll have no problem attaching good actors. Doesn't matter how little funds you have or how small your crew is. What matters is the script. If it's so so, you're out of luck.

      And it will also help to have some kind of track recors, ie; some goos shorts to show.

      Yes?

      james

      Delete
    2. Oh yeah, in the end it's all about the script. So as long as I have a great (and lean) script, I can attract good actors even with a lean/mean crew. Thanks James!

      Delete